The CPHVA has a long history as both a professional association and trade union. It was founded as the Health Visitors' Association (HVA) in 1898. Its strength lies in the activity of its members.
This activity is translated through the Association's democratic processes to the national level, where campaigns for both the working conditions and professional concerns of its members are taken forward.
The CPHVA introduced its new structure to streamline the way members influence the work of the Association. The aim is to make the CPHVA more democratic and accountable to its members, while at the same time giving a sharper focus to its goals and objectives.
This structure was agreed at the 1998 Annual General Meeting (AGM) to reflect the need for the Association to change, to meet the demands of its increasingly diverse membership and the changing context of its members' work.
Every member belongs to a "centre", the most fundamental level of organisation within the Association. In turn, each centre feeds into one of 14 "regions" or "countries", wshich in turn feed into the Association at a national level.
These are the rules by which the Association operates and were substantially re-evaluated in 1998/99 in the light of the change in structures. Standing orders can be changed only by a motion to the AGM. Each centre should have and maintain a full set of standing orders for reference and it is probably a good idea to have a copy of the MSF Rulebook available.
Copies can be obtained from CPHVA Headquarters.
The Standing Orders Committee exists to ensure the standing orders are being applied and determines any questions of interpretation. It also sets out the business of the AGM.
CPHVA Standing Orders