Community Practitioners and Health Visitors Association

Back to home pageGeneral information about CPHVAMembership information Contact CPHVA staffSearch CPHVA site for general informationHelp on navigating the siteLinks to other useful sitesEnter members' area

Health visiting information
School nursing information District nursing information Practice nursing information Countries-Scotland, Wales and Northern IrelandPublic health information Clinical effectiveness information Courses, grants and reportsCPHVA responses to government and other reportsCPHVA and non-CPHVA eventsPress releases and media relationsCPHVA campaignsSpecial Interest GroupsFrequently asked questionsIndex to site



AMICUS/CPHVA Professional Officer for Education - . 33-37, Moreland Street, London EC1V 8HA . Tel. 0207 780 4082. Fax. 0207 780 4142

This page provides information about preparation for specialist community public health nursing which you may recognise as health visiting and school nursing and a variety of specialist practitioners including district, practice and community children’s nurses.

The following links are being constantly updated and will provide much relevant information

Pre-registration Nurse Education

Prescourse reading /Professional Updating

Returning to Practice

Professional Liability Cover and Insurance Scheme

Courses in Community Specialist Practice

Doctorate in Nursing

Education and Sponsorship for specialist communtiy public health nursing


Pre- registration Nurse Education

In order to become one of the following:-
health visitor
school nurse
occupational health nurse
community children’s nurse
practice nurses
district nurse
community mental health nurse
community learning disability nurse
you need to first qualify as a nurse or in the case of a health visitor a nurse or midwife. Diploma level training (or equivalent) is accepted as entry, though some specialities require qualification in a particular pathway of nursing.

Normally you would be expected to consolidate your training through a period of work as a nurse before moving on to specialist practice training


Information regarding nurse training can be obtained from the NHS careers service.



Information on the CPHVA website Disclaimer and copyright information CPHVA ethical policy General information for visitors to the site

If you have any comments about this web site please send them to:

33-37, Moreland Street, London EC1V 8HA