Frequently Asked Questions



























Accountability/Delegation/Skill Mix  
Has the CPHVA got any publications on accountability?  
Answer - Yes.Professional Briefing - Delegation and Professional Accountability, CPHVA, 2000.  
Breast Feeding  
Where can I find information on breast feeding rates in the UK?  
Answer - For information, go to Breastfeeding  
Where can I find information on bursaries and grants for higher education and research?  
Answer - There are many organisations which give grants and bursaries for community nursing/health visiting .
For a list of such organisations, go to Education and access Grants and Bursaries
Courses for Health Visiting  
I am interested in finding about courses available for health visitors/community practitioners. Where can I find them?  
Answer – go to our education and careers pages or contact:  


  1. NHS Careers (Tel. 0845 606 655) / or
  2. The National Boards for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Go to Links.
What do Head Office do?  
Answer - Deals with administration, professional and information services, and labour relations.  
CPHVA Professional Levy  
What is the professional levy?  
Answer - This is an additional fee CPHVA members pay on top of the normal MSF membership subscription. The levy is under the direct control of the Director who is accountable to the CPHVA Executive Committee for its use. The levy enables the CPHVA to provide additional professional services to its members which would not otherwise be available, including dedicated professional officer time for Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, as well as school nursing, clinical effectiveness, and strategic work on NHS policy.  
Community Practice Teachers  

What has the CPHVA produced on CPTs?

Answer - A Professional Briefing on Practice educators -Preparing for new roles in the new NHS has been published by the CPHVA.  
Domestic Violence  
What is the CPHVA policy on domestic violence  
Answer - The CPHVA has produced three documents which are:  
  • Professional Briefing - Domestic violence : A framework of good practice
  • Domestic violence : The role of the community nurse.
  • Understanding Domestic Violence - A Training Pack
Evidence Based Practice  
I’m looking to develop my clinical practice. Where do I find the evidence that other people have generated in relation to my area of interest?  

Answer - If you access to the World Wide Web, there are some very good sites for evidence based practice which you can trawl. For some examples of evidence based sites, go to Links

Health Visiting  

How many community practitioners are registered within the UK?


Answer - About 30,000.

Where can I get information about the changing role of the health visitor?  
Answer - in the current context, the role of the health visitor has changed to fit the public health agenda and the development of primary care groups. For more information, contact the  
What do I need in order to be eligible to return to practice?  
Answer - Please go to  
What are the other useful web resources on Health Visiting?  
Answer - There is a new web site run by health visitors in East Berkshire which is a very useful resource.
Please go to Also, see Other Web Resources on Health Visiting
Indemnity Cover  
I would like to find more information on professional indemnity cover offered by the CPHVA.  
Answer - The CPHVA offers indemnity cover to members.Indemnity insurance policy covers members for up to £3 million. We do not cover self employed members. For more information, go to
Professional Indemnity Cover
Where can I find information on Immunisation?  
Answer - Please access the following links for information on Immunisation  
Health Promotion England  
Department of Health  
University of Southampton  
Next Phase of Meningococcal C Congugate Vaccine Programme  
I would like more information about the after effects of MMR vaccines. Where can I get it from?  
Answer - The following links will provide more information on MMR  
Statement on the safety of the MMR vaccination programme  
Health Promotion England - Immunisation  
Health Promotion Englanf MMR Information Pack for Health Professionals  
UK Guidance on Best Practice in Vaccine Administration


Infant/Child Health  
How good is the use of bottled water for making infant feeds, particularly when infants are on holiday?  
Answer - Bottled water, except that labelled 'natural mineral water', must conform to the same standards as public water and is therefore suitable for infants, after boiling and cooling.  
More information in:  
Nutrition for the Infant and Young Child : A Guide for Health Visitors
CPHVA/Sainsburys, 2000
Interview Pack  
I am applying for a job as a health visitor or school nurse and have to give a presentation. I understand you produce an interview pack. What is in it?  

Answer – This is collection of publications which give you basic information about current health visiting, school nursing and community nursing issues. More information

For an interview pack, please send a cheque for £17.50, payable to CPHVA, and details of your postal address to:
CPHVA, 40, Bermondsey Street, London SE1 3UD

Reading List  
CPHVA publications  
What are the benefits of CPHVA membership?  
Answer – You will have:  
  • advice on professional issues, representation and advice on pay, contracts, terms and conditions of employment;
  • a comprehensive annual programme of specialist, professional development, education and training courses, conferences and seminars
  • an information resources centre to answer your enquiries, for reference and research
  • the award winning ‘Community Practitioner’ journal free of charge and the job opportunities supplement free every fortnight
  • indemnity instance cover against claims up to £3 million
  • access to CPHVA networks of special interest groups and databases
Membership Area log in  
Why can I not logon to the members area?  
Answer: This could be due to several reasons:  
  • You are entering your name in the username box when it's asking for your membership number and you haven't read the instructions properly.
  • Typing errors. For older members whose membership number begins with 0H0 please note that this should be typed as number zero, capital letter H and then number zero, followed by the remainder numbers.
  • The system is down. Please inform the Information Resources Dept and try later.


Nursery Nurses  
Please can I have some information on nursery nurses.  

Answer - Contact Jenny Bremmner at MSF on Tel. 0207 505 7024



Primary Care  
Where can I find innovations/initiatives in primary care.  
Answer - The Centre for Innovations in Primary Care has launched its database of projects in primary care. It is still at an early stage of development, but has many good projects which you could get ideas from. Go to  
Professional Development  
Where can I get help with professional development?  
Answer – If you are a CPHVA member, contact Ruth Hudson, CPHVA officer for professional development on 020 7939 7000. Alternatively you can contact the UKCC or the National Boards for England, Scotland and Wales - go to Links  
Publishing in 'Community Practitioner  
What are the guidelines for submitting articles for publication in the 'Community Practitioner'?  

Answer - Go to 'Guidelines for authors who wish to publish articles in 'Community Practitioner''

Record Keeping  
Has the CPHVA produced any publications on record keeping?  
Answer - Yes. 'Keeping the Record Straight'. This publication can be ordered directly through the Bookshop via the web site, or by contacting Scott McMillan on Tel. 01732 886 422.  
Has the CPHVA got any information on the retirement of health visitors?  
Answer - Go to NHS Superannuation Scheme  
Statistics on Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting (England)
Where can I find up to date statistics on health visiting in the UK?  
Answer - There are statistics on health visiting available on this web site. Please click on the link above to access the information.  
Sure Start Programmes  
Where can I find information on Sure Start programmes?  
Answer - These programmes vary in England and Wales. A good start would be to find information from the official web site for Sure Start at ht.://, and for Sure Start programmes in Wales, go to  
Web Site:
Membership Area  
I find it difficult to login to the Members Area. My membership number is not being accepted.  

Answer - There are many reasons for not being able to access the membership area:

  • Non validation of membership number. If you are a new member, it takes about 3 weeks for your number to be validated.
  • It may be that you have not read the instructions carefully. Please read the instructions given in the Membership login page. Make sure that you type 0 (zero) instead of O in caps. The password is given on the instructions page.
  • It can also be that the membership number has been entered incorrectly.
I can't find any bibliographic information on the web site.  

Answer - The web site searches only dynamic pages i.e. information contained within the web pages on the site. It does not search any static information contained in databases. Therefore, you will be not be able to access journal articles, reports or books.

Hence, to search for journal articles, books and reports, search the CPHVA database. Access the Members Area and click on CPHVA database on the left hand menu.

Join CPHVA